Friday, February 20, 2009

The number one way to save money???

So I was watching TV this morning and they had a financial advisor on the news who said the number one way to save money is to set up an automatic transfer into savings on the days you get paid. Makes sense if you think about it.

If you are like me, the only money you ever really think about is the money in your checking account because that is the account your checks are cashed from, your bills are paid from and all the purchases made with the debit card are pulled from. I rarely think about the money in savings as "spendable" since it actually requires effort on my part to transfer it into checking before I go and make a purchase.

So this automatic transfer means that the money is never even seen by you and probably won't be missed much, if at all. Try a small amount at first, say $25-$50. If you don't miss it, double it! See how much you can save before the end of this year.

3 comments:

The Royal Family said...

I agree, I had automatic transfer into savings a certain amount each paycheck and my savings grew... Currently I just make sure i deposit some into savings since we dont have the option for automatic deposit. It is a great way to save money and forget you have it, which makes it harder to want to spend it. :)

R Clan said...

But $25 to $50 is a huge amount. Just kidding. I really should try this out.

R Clan said...

But $25 to $50 is a huge amount. Just kidding. I really should try this out.