Monday, August 31, 2009

Sams Club HOAD...

I was in the Jordan Landing Sam's club today and they have BONELESS pork loin (you know, those big, vacuumed sealed packages which usually have at least 5 lbs of meat in them), for just $1.38/ pound. This is an amazing deal. $1.79/pound is a rare find, but $1.38 is just plain fantastic! I got a very large pork loin for just over $11.

Just open the package, cut into roasts and freeze individually or slice up for pork chops. I repeat, this is BONELESS, good quality meat. The date has not expired... there was a lot when I was there, but I am sure it will go fast so get over to Sams and stock up while you can! :)

Need ideas on what to do with this meat? Well if you want super simple, you can just put one of the roasts in the crock pot, season with salt and pepper, cover with large chunks of raw onions, then add chopped potatoes and mini-carrots. Pour a can of chicken broth over the top and cook on high for about 6-7 hours. Yum.

However, my all time favorite recipe for pork loin is the Cafe Rio Sweet Pork recipe:

1 good size pork loin
2 cans coke (I use caffeine free)
1 16oz jar of salsa
2 cups brown sugar

Put the pork loin and 1 can of coke in the crock pot. Cook the roast on high for 5 hours. Drain off coke and mix together the other can of coke, the jar of salsa (I blend it to get rid of the chunks), and the 2 cups of brown sugar. Cut the roast in half, and pour the mixture over it. Cook an additional 3 hours on high and then shred the pork with two forks. Put the crock pot on low until ready to serve.

Serve on tortillas with rice and veggies... or go the whole mile and make all the salad toppings including the Cafe Rio Creamy Tomatillo Salad Dressing:

1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1 pkg dry ranch buttermilk dressing
2-3 medium tomatillos (remove outer leaves)
1 tsp crushed garlic
3/4-1 bunch of Cilantro
2tsp green Tabasco sauce
Juice from 1 lime
Salt & pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to serve. (At least one hour.)

(*HOAD=heck of a deal)

2 comments:

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

We love to do this w/that pork. Sooo yummy. I think your dressing is a different recipe than I have so I'm going to have to try it. I think I mentioned I am at Sam's every Sat. morning at 7am and in their meat section they often have stuff marked down that is "expiring" that weekend. I usually get my way low in fat content gr. beef that way. Gotta love Sam's sometimes!

R Clan said...

That is a great deal!!! You are such a Bargain shopper and have the BEST ideas.